Monday, May 24, 2010

Rounding the Bend!

This is our last full week of blended learning! In fact, the last optional day will be next Tuesday. For our last unit, Persepolis, we'll be using a class set of books, so you'll need to come every day in order to do your work. You will be working independently, however, so it'll still feel a little bit "blended."

In your reflections this week, most people sounded happy and adjusted to this style of learning. I feel happy and adjusted, too. I am a blended believer at this point, and I'm glad I'll get to continue this type of instruction next school year.

Something I want to get your feedback on, and I might pose this question on this week's End-of-Week Reflection is how you think blended learning could best be introduced at the beginning of the year. What would your ideal blended course look like in terms of schedule, workload, relationships, etc.? Think about this and add your thoughts to this week's end-of-week reflection forums.

Something else that's been happening lately is an erosion of the typical divide between students and teacher. On the one hand, I'm elated about this development! I've spent most of my career trying to find ways to authentically learn WITH students, instead of being just an authority figure and the dominant force in the classroom. On the other hand, some aspects of the walls coming down are making me feel a little bit uncomfortable. I'll probably talk more about this in class; although the idea of talking about it in class makes me feel uncomfortable, too. Oh, teaching. Such a complex and wonderful profession.

Have a great week!

No comments:

Post a Comment