Wednesday, October 20, 2010

A month later...

...and things are finally calming down. In the last couple of weeks, I've realized I don't feel as frantic. Last weekend, I didn't even come into work! Students seem happy and productive, and I'm getting happier because my daily life isn't as frenetic. Grades are pretty good overall, despite some problems with project completion, mostly with my seniors.

A few interesting things have happened this month. First, I got sick. I had to leave school on a moment's notice. The next day, I was still down for the count and had to miss a planned visit from the School Board.

And what happened? Nothing, really!

The kids, as it turns out, don't need me on a daily basis to continue their learning. I'm so happy they've adjusted to this reality within the first six weeks of school. During the Board visit, a couple other staff came in to support my substitute and students, but the teachers said they didn't need to say anything. The kids did an amazing job of explaining the benefits of blended learning all on their own.

More on the benefits to come in this entry and later ones.

A second happening this month was that new course proposals were due at school. My department chair and I proposed Blended American Literature - we'd like to move out of the pilot phase. We also changed the description of Mass Media to indicate that the class will always be taught in a blended format.

Another department in our school also considered petitioning to offer a blended course. Their discussion process, as well as our English proposals, gave me many opportunities to talk about the benefits of blended learning. A question that always raises my hackles is one that's often not posed as a question: Teachers say to me, "Well, kids say they love your class because they don't have to come to it."

I've been trying not to react defensively to this comment, and rather ask people to consider what kids are really saying when they report this benefit of being a blended learner. Sure, kids like the freedom not to come to class. That's okay with me because I don't want to be a child's last choice of how to spend their time. I want to offer activities and content that draw learners in! I want them to WANT it!

What I choose to believe kids are saying when they report that they like the attendance schedule is this: "I like the fact that my teacher trusts me take charge of my own learning."

Choice and freedom are good for relationships and good for learning.

No comments:

Post a Comment